Friday, February 4

Molasses Cookies!

Well, after my pining for pudding was satisfied with many bowls of chocolate mousse-y goodness, another sweet snack took over my thought life: Molasses Cookies. Haven't had one in a LONG time, because, while I may have my cheat moments/days when the food is in front of me, I don't go out and deliberately purchase foods that have wheat/dairy/soy/eggs/etc. So, I had found and printed this recipe for (GF and Vegan!) Soft Molasses Cookies several months ago, and I've been pulling out my recipe binder staring at it off and on for the past two weeks. Finally last night I got out my beloved red KitchenAid and we made some cookies! These are DELICIOUS. Soft, chewy, molasses-y, sweet. YUM!!!


Here is the recipe, verbatim from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen. This makes the second or third recipe I've tried from their blog, and Hubs and I both LOVED. Keep up the good work over there at NourishingMeals.com!

2 cups sorghum flour
½ cup tapioca flour 
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda 
1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
2 teaspoons ground ginger
¾ cup organic palm shortening 
1 cup Sucanat, coconut sugar, or brown sugar 
½ cup blackstrap molasses 
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds

To start, make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature; especially your applesauce.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the sorghum flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, sea salt, cinnamon, and ginger. 

In a separate mixing bowl, beat the palm shortening, sugar, and molasses together with an electric mixer. Add the applesauce, vanilla, and ground flax seeds; beat for another 60 seconds. 

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat together. Continue to beat for another minute or until the ingredients are well-combined and the dough thickens.

Cover bowl with a plate and chill dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (or place dough in a sealed glass container for longer chilling). 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a large cookie sheet. 

Remove bowl from refrigerator and form dough into little balls with the palms of your hands. Place each ball on the greased cookie sheet spaced out by about 2 inches.

Bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes (shorter for smaller cookies, longer for larger cookies). Watch carefully as the cookies can burn easily. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. 

Just a few notes: 
  • I was out of sorghum flour, so I used 2 1/2 cups GF flour blend that included sorghum, millet, and tapioca flours instead. 
  • The blend contains xanthan gum and baking soda as well, so I cut the recipe amounts in half.
  • I have no coconut sugar or Sucanut ((yet!) so I used brown sugar, and DARK molasses.
  • Chilling the dough definitely makes for a nicer time rolling the cookies with warm palms, so definitely follow the recommendation in the recipe. I chilled the dough for about 90 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. looks beautiful! yummy too- maybe I will have to make those soon- hope you have a great sunday!

    ReplyDelete