Tuesday, December 7

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies!

As I write this post, the scent of baking cookies is wafting over to my desk from the kitchen. I am baking my first batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies since my allergy diagnosis. No wheat flour here, I'm using this GF Sugar-Free Vegan Cookie Recipe from Kim at Affairs of Living blog. Her recipe calls for sorghum, millet, and tapioca flours, which happen to be my new favorite combo. I'm thinking these cookies will turn out delicious!

I had an iron infusion this morning that totally wiped me out, so I spent the morning napping. When I got some energy back this afternoon, first I vacuumed the living room - always an energizing mood-booster for me! Then I decided to get my butt into the kitchen and test one of the many recipes I've been cataloging in my new favorite thing: my Emily-safe Recipes Binder (for lack of a better title?). I have been surfing the blog scene for a few months now, printing out GFCF, egg-free, soy-free recipes to try, and filing them by type of dish. I even made my own cutesy binder tabs out of polka-dot scrapbooking paper. I love this new binder. It's the simplest thing, but it brings me great joy; I know when I pull it off the shelf that I will be able to make and enjoy any recipe in there. Awesome feeling!

Ooh, the timer is beeping! I'll comment on the cookie result later. Happy Tuesday evening to all!
-------------------------------------------------------
Okay, here are the cookies! Forgive my very amateur photography skills - comments welcome :)

Cookies and coffee for breakfast

Cute little cookie nuggets!
Needs tweaking: They are rather crumbly. I think it's due to my shortening - it was not soft, so I zapped it in the microwave with the coconut oil to get it to combine. After I added all the oats to the dough, it was pretty crumbly and not wanting to stick together. Before scooping out the first batch, I stuck my hands right in the bowl and warmed the dough. This seemed to help it stay together and was obviously needed after I scooped the second batch without warming the dough, and it was more like granola on the cookie sheet. I warmed the dough by hand again with the third and final batch.

Raves: Overall, a great recipe with delicious flavor. The cookies taste like they have BUTTER! I don't think anyone would be able to tell that these are GF, vegan, and only sweetened with 1/8 tsp stevia powder and 1/2 cup maple syrup! The flavor and smell far outweighs the crumbly-ness flaw. If I had to choose between a dry-ish cookie and a too-moist cookie, I'd pick the drier one. I dislike having cookies that can't even be covered in a container because they'll practically melt - they get too soft! I can tell these cookies are going to do well sitting on the counter in a covered container. I'll definitely make them again, and try to resolve the shortening issue.

For just an hour's work, I have over 30 cute little cookies to enjoy and share this week. I'm calling this a success! :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the cookies! Hooray! Thanks for linking back to my post and sharing your successes and challenges with this recipe. The shortening should not be melty, just slightly soft, like room temperature. If it is hard, try putting it in a warm place, like on top of the oven or scoop some into a jar and place in a bowl of warm water. If you use xanthan gum, you coudl always add 1/2 tsp or so to the recipe to help with the crumbliness. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! I just made my second batch of your cookies. I was dreaming about them all month since I finished eating the first batch! I am still working out how to keep the oats and chocolate chips combined better. I will try xanthan gum, as well as some more moisture like melted coconut oil or applesauce.
    Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh, found your fav cc cookie recipe :) I have to try this when I am eating chocolate again! and by the way, I love your idea of printing off recipes and making your own binder recipe book. I did that as well when I first started eating GF and it was almost an obsessive collection. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, you are going to love these cookies! Take note of Kim's and my comments about things to combat the crumbliness. Worst case scenario would be that the cookies fall apart, and even then it's still a win because you have a creative new granola to snack on! Kidding aside, these are truly my favorite and I love that they are GFCF and vegan. Amazing!
    It sounds like we have some fun things in common. My recipe binder is totally an obsession! Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete