Saturday, December 4

Guilt-Free Hot Cocoa and Egg-Free Baking Subs

I found a great recipe for a totally allergen-free hot chocolate at Z's Cup of Tea. I'm currently drinking a cup of Swiss Miss that my hubby brought over to my desk. I'm drinking it for several reasons - 1. it is very late and I'm too tired to be picky, 2. I have been trying to reintroduce dairy for the past several weeks, to see how I do, and 3. It's been a long, trying week. I need a treat in the form of a warm liquid hug. Tomorrow everything will be better, and I will try this recipe from Z. I think I'll use rice, coconut, and (my new favorite) hazelnut milk...

 Z's Cup of Cocoa
Hot Chocolate
8 ounces (1 cup) is the usual size for a drink, though that day I only used 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of milk and it was just enough for the little guy. (Sometimes, smaller is better.) For milk, we’ve used a blend of soy and rice milk and So Delicious’ Coconut Milk Beverage in Original and Vanilla.
Serves 1 to 2 (small, two servings: 4 ounces; regular, single serving: 8 ounces)
Ingredients:
1/2 to 1 cup dairy-free milk of your choice [see head note]
1 to 2 tbsp. cocoa powder, natural or Dutched/alkalized (using Dutch gives a richer chocolate flavour)
1 to 1 1/2 dessert teaspoons agave nectar or honey
Marshmallows (optional, they make a fun sub for whipped cream)
Method:
Heat the milk in a small pot over medium heat, bringing just to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder (1 tablespoon per 1/2 cup) until completely blended. Pour the hot chocolate into a mug or mugs. Sweeten to your taste: I actually preferred a slightly bittersweet hot chocolate, while my brother went for the slightly sweeter side. Top with marshmallows or have as is. Enjoy!

One more fun item: a complete list of many brilliant substitutions for eggs in baking and cooking, found on Chef In You. We are officially in the Christmas season and entering the most popular baking season of the year. I had my final already and I've got four open weeks with "Christmas baking" written all over them; I'm going to be utilizing this brilliant list all month!
 This photo from Chefinyou.com sums it up! :)

I'm passing on to each of you a kind wish I received from a friend this week: This holiday season, may you be with those you love, and those who love you. Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Sophie,
    I so enjoyed receiving your comments today. You are the first to leave your mark on my blog! Thank you for stopping by :)
    Emily

    ReplyDelete