Sunday, March 18

[Nutritious] Chocolate Banana Drink

This afternoon I was watching TV and got stuck on the Ninja Kitchen System infomercial. Isn't it true that even if you have NO need for a product, an infomercial can sell you anything if you don't hang on to your self control and head sense? Translation: Even though I own a nice quality Kitchen Aid blender, food processor, mixer, and Jack Lalanne Juicer, a few minutes watching the wonders of the Ninja KS, and I thought I needed it. What can I say? Anything cooking-related is my weakness. Thankfully I came to my senses, and realized I could make a delicious afternoon treat (like they were making on TV) without spending any money, using what I already own.

So I hopped into the kitchen and got to it. This was my inspiration today:
When we were kids, occasionally my mom made us this super yummy afternoon snack that we called "Chocolate Banana Drink." It consisted of ice, bananas, and chocolate pudding mix. Simple, sugary, and delicious. This afternoon I wanted something that tasted like that, but chocolate pudding mix is full of junk and not something I keep around my pantry (anymore). So I adapted my own [gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, sugar-free, Paleoish] recipe, and in under ten minutes we were all enjoying a delicious, chocolate frappe-style dessert drink. Here's the recipe:

[Nutritious] Chocolate Banana Drink!

What you need:
2 frozen bananas, broken into smaller pieces
handful (about 1 cup) frozen, torn spinach and kale leaves
1/2 cup coconut milk (I used Silk PureCoconut original)
1-2 TB cocoa powder (add more/less to taste)
1 TB golden flax meal

Optional:
3 chunks frozen pear
4 ice cubes
1/2 cup water

What you do:
Put bananas, greens, coconut milk and cocoa powder into blend and puree until it reaches the right consistency. I had to add 1/2 cup water to help it along, then it was too runny, so I added the frozen pear and ice cubes, and more cocoa powder and it became the perfect chocolately frappe consistency. 

I enjoyed my treat so fast, only afterward did I realize I should share this on the blog, and there was nothing left to photograph! My hubs had a tiny bit left:



Make this drink and this is what you'll be seeing -or rather NOT seeing- in a matter of minutes  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment