Saturday, May 4

My Favorite Quotes (BEDIM: Day 4)

The prompt for today, Day 4, is your favorite quote and why.

I LOVE inspirational, motivating, inspiring, life giving quotes. I have a whole book of quotes I started in high school, and added a LOT to through some challenging seasons of growth in college, particularly during my freshman year novice crew season. I had quotes posted all over my dorm room. Favorites by Mark Twain, Henry David Thorough, Zig Ziglar, Vince Lombardi, Emily Dickinson, C.S. Lewis...


My passion for literary quotes has died down in more recent years, and been replaced by a list of Scriptures that I have found or have been given to me, that get me through these trying years of health challenges. I have a list now of my favorite promises from the Bible, that I lean on and hold confidence in. I have taken to writing some right on the living room wall with Sharpie -of course in a nice, artsy way, and only because the living room is the last room in our home still waiting for removal of old plaster walls, replaced with insulation and drywall. In case you were wondering ;)

A few weeks back, when I got to come home from the hospital and so desperately did not want to go back again, I wrote down a list of six Bible verses, and I started declaring them, out loud, each day, each time I felt a hint of a bad symptom, each time I needed to stand firm.

These following "quotes" are amazing words to know and file in your mental arsenal, to whip out in a time of testing- especially if you are in a health crisis, but not only for that! Some of my favorites:

Hebrews 10:23  "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."

Jeremiah 30:17  "But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,' declares the LORD"

1 John 4:17  "as he is so also are we in this world."

Psalm 27:13   "I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living."


My life motto:  Psalm 71:14   "As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more."



and my constant declaration: 
 Psalm 118:17   "I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the LORD has done."


And finally (I can't believe I almost forgot!), the quote that changed my life four years ago, and off of which I based the title and aim of my blog:
"Our greatest power is our power to choose." - Kevin Gerald





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I have colitis like you, as well as crohn's. Your blog title is so aptly named for what we must do (all of us, not just those suffering from illnesses): CHOOSE JOY. I find great comfort in the Bible, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are a few of my favorites!

    "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." ~ Albert Einstein

    "Happiness requires less raw cookie dough" ! Kristin Chenoweth

    “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. “ ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Your life will be defined by the thoughts that you accept or reject.
    ~ Kevin Gerald

    "Let your pain trigger praise"
    ~ Holly Furtick

    ReplyDelete