Thursday, February 13

Staring Down the Monster. And, Another Big Needle in the Gut

I have been meaning to sit and write out this post since October, when I titled and saved it as a draft. So much has happened even between then and now, that this post alone could be the chapter(s) of a book.

Early October I had just had my bout with cholangitis, been in the hospital on antibiotics for several days and had a failed ERCP to try and open the strictured (narrowed by way of inflammation turned to scarring) bile duct that contributed to the issue. We'd just been emergency-moved out of our home as there was black mold discovered under the house, and I was processing all of that, along with the newest topic brought up by my liver team the week before: retransplantation.

Retransplantation has gone from being my nemesis, my enemy to be avoided, denied, and not even considered at any costs, to a dark scary monster standing between myself and the life I expected to have when I got married and became a mother, to what it is now... a very possible reality in my future.
Once you're in the position of having to face a fear, and your survival hinges upon facing that fear, you just do it. Not all in one fell swoop easy as pie, but in a graciously gradual process that God takes you through, holding your hand and opening your eyes to what you need to see.

I'm thankful to say, it's not such a monster anymore. The worst part (in my experience) of needing a liver transplant, is how helpless the waiting list can make you feel. You have no control over whether you'll get a liver or not.
Liver transplant is the most intense, physically challenging organ transplant, and livers are not easy to come by. There is no dialysis like kidneys have; there is no life support like a lung or heart machine. It's a perfectly designed filter and toxin-eliminator for the body, crucial in digestion and life itself. There are partial-liver transplants now, where a living donor is able to give part of their liver because it will regenerate, and the piece that is placed in the transplant patient will regenerate as well. However, these kind of liver transplants have a lot more bile duct scarring complications, and when you're already needing a new liver because of your scarred bile ducts due to PSC (primary sclerosing cholangitis) it isn't a great or sometimes even viable option.

*This is the perfect opportunity to make mention of tomorrow's special distinction: February 14th is not just Valentine's Day, but also National Donor Day. If you are not sure you are signed up to be an organ donor, please visit the national registry and get signed up! Follow this link and click on your home state to do so: http://organdonor.gov/becomingdonor/stateregistries.html
Here is a great little informative article just put out in a college newspaper yesterday, detailing some of the most common questions and concerns about organ donation: http://thesnapper.com/2014/02/12/have-a-heart-this-organ-donor-day/
When in doubt, just ask. As an organ donor you can save or enhance up to fifty lives. That's amazing!
There is still a huge need for registered organ donors in the United States, and especially needed are minorities. It's estimated that eighteen people pass away every day waiting for an organ. Consider it and do what you can. Ok, PSA over :)

Back to the not-so-fun scenario of being on the organ transplant waiting list, and having no control whether you'll receive the life saving transplant that you need...
This is where it becomes so important to ground yourself daily -moment by moment- in Truth. There is One who knows my future, and I'm no more in control of the ultimate destiny of my life than a healthy person that the Lord watches over. I continually find myself responding to any mind monsters or doubts that come up, "Maybe so... BUT GOD."
"But, God shall supply ALL of my needs."
"BUT GOD will satisfy me with long life and salvation."
"BUT my GOD will fight for me; I need only to be still."
"BUT GOD knows the way that I take, and when He has tried me, purified me through these challenging times, I will come forth as gold, giving Him the glory."


I didn't update after my ERCP to fix the stricture on January 27th (my guy and I celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary that day in the hospital, by the way! shout out to my amazing hubby!). That was the second attempt since October, and it didn't work. The doctor that did the procedure is world class, has decades of experience, and tried for two or three hours (I can't remember, I was intubated and under general anesthesia for it, and so sick and sleepy for hours and hours after, I missed all the reports, Lol!). But that one stinker of a sharp turn where my transplant was sewn to my bile duct, he just couldn't get the wire through that they needed to put in the stent.

Checking out of the hospital the day after my last ERCP, Jan 27th


Meanwhile, my bilirubin has gone to a level over 20 (normal is 0.2-1.2), my AST/ALT/Alk Phos (liver function tests) are very high, and I've been so jaundiced and itchy, it's been quite the couple weeks!

Orange flavored Cholestyramine, a powder that kind of suspends in water, not dissolving, and you have to just get it down because it's supposed to bind to bile and help get it out, lessening the itching and bilirubin #. It is NOTHING like Orange Juice :)


I was very nauseous for a while, and finally figured out that I wasn't digesting fats very well - that's something you take for granted if your bile ducts are working! I normally eat healthy, nourishing, Primal style meals including butter, Greek yogurt, avocados, full-fat canned coconut milk, etc. I had to curtail that whole way of life and switch to fruit and veggie smoothies twice a day.

This morning I had my favorite: Beet juice, tons of super greens, small handful of blueberries, half a banana, carrot juice, fresh squeezed OJ... Amazing how daylight minimizes the jaundice in this photo. I'll take it!

It's been fun and neat to see how that helped me to recover from the nausea and even keep up with my busy little gal most days all on my own while Hubby works, despite the crazy state of my health. God is always allowing me to live outside the box of sickness that I "should" fit into according to my labs and test results. He's so good!

Tomorrow is the day we are going in for "Plan B" - a PTBD - Percutaneous Transhepatic Biliary Drain. It will be done in Interventional Radiology, where they'll sedate me and use various radiology technologies to find the route, then using a (always too large looking!) hollow needle, go right through my abdomen, through the liver, into my bile duct, insert that handy guide wire that's resisted two other attempts via the ERCP route, and put in a stent to open up this darn strictured bile duct. The plan as it stands is to leave that stent in for up to six months to allow scarring to happen around it, creating a much bigger opening so bile can pass through. Something doctors said after that last ERCP attempt was that, at least visually it appears, most of my bile ducts "have lost function. They are strictured and scarred to the point where little to no bile is passing through."
I put that in quotes because, that's may be a fact, but I choose to keep fact separate from Truth. That report is not what God says. It's what my very smart and caring doctors say, and now that they've gotten this information, I will follow all the steps needed to pursue a transplant eval and be listed, because I am not foolish.
However--- THIS is ALSO where my mind calls forth the TRUTH--- "I walk by faith, and NOT by sight." "Faith is being sure of what we HOPE for, and certain of WHAT WE DO NOT SEE." "Though the vision tarries, wait for it; it will surely come." "NO weapon forged against me shall prevail." "By HIS WOUNDS I AM HEALED!" "AS Jesus is, so AM I in this world!"
You get the idea. :)

Bottom line: I'm not letting this "Monster" take me down. The battle for our lives - whether we're recovering from an addiction, healing from a trauma, trying to bounce back from a failed relationship, or facing some dark diagnoses - the battle begins in our minds. Fill and fix your mind on things above - Philippians 4:8 tells us, "I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious- the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse."

If your mind has junk in it, gather it all up like you would rotting food in your fridge, and kick it to the curb! Life is too precious to spend it stuck on garbage thoughts that aren't from God. Life, and life abundant is what Jesus came to bring us - not just in Heaven but here on earth. But it's completely our option - something recently pointed out to me, was that Jesus said, "I have come that they MAY have life..." That leaves the ball in our court.
Speaking from experience, it is so worth the effort and repetition that it takes to build new habits in your thought life, to step out on your sea legs of faith and start looking past a bad report to what the Word says. It may feel completely awkward at first, but it gets easier, and more routine, and pretty soon it is your norm. If you want to do it, you can and you will!



If you've read this far, thank you for bearing with me ;)  This probably should have been two or three separate blog posts! A little secret - we haven't had a working computer in a couple years. We have an old netbook that we have to hook up to our TV to see anything on, and it gets overheated after five to ten minutes of just booting up most of the time-- needless to say I wasn't blogging from there! But about a year ago an incredible family in our world gifted us with a Kindle, which has been an absolute God-send not just for when I'm in the hospital, to stay connected and entertained, but also in parenting a two year old! ;)   And this week I was able to get a keyboard to go with it, which I'm so excited about! I cranked out three quarters of this post in no time! All that to say, you should be seeing more frequent but less lengthy posts from me in the future. SO many times throughout the week I think, "Ah, I should blog this!" usually as I'm learning something I'd love to get down in ink and share with you all. Now I'll be able to do that much more efficiently. Wahoo!



I hope I've informed, encouraged, spoken truth or life into your airspace today.
I'll close with this:

"This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live, and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to His voice, and hold fast to Him.
For the Lord is your life, and He will give you many years in the land."
-Deuteronomy 30:19-20

My two greatest treasures and me at MESH Conference this week. Nothing can keep us away from the House for long! I love my church!

No comments:

Post a Comment